Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day Thoughts

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful daddy and to the amazing daddy of my son! I was thinking about how blessed I am to have two men in my life who reflect the Lord to me by the ways in which they father their children. My dad is the most obvious example in my life of how God can turn anything into something beautiful, and no relationship is beyond the reach of God's touch of healing. I love our relationship and am so thankful for how much sweeter God has allowed it to be during my adult years. Through my dad's unfailing and selfless love for me, I really get a glimpse of God's love for me too. At the top of my thankful list for this year is God's gracious gift in protecting my dad when he had his heart attack three months ago today. Thank you, Lord, for that happy ending. And as I have watched my husband with my son this week, I am blessed by their sweet bond. They have a special one, and I know it will last forever, even when Jonah is all grown up. They will be friends, and it will be dear. I see in Joel some amazing father qualities that I know originate in the heart of the perfect Father. Joel does so well in being strong, steadfast, and consistent in the area of authority and boundaries, yet he doesn't sacrifice love, mercy, and affection to Jonah. What an amazing blend of justice and love/grace that automatically points towards the Lord and reflects who He is as a Father to us. Today I miss my father-in-law being on earth. I miss the time I didn't get to have with him. But I know for sure that the best of Bill Estes is definitely in my husband! Joel has so many of his dad's admirable characteristics, and this wife and mommy is way blessed by them.

0 comments: